Friday, February 14, 2014

Thoughts on Love: Happy Valentine's Day to you

What a perfect day to reflect on what love really is, and what it means to you.

Sometimes the word has a lot of meaning to me.  It's a feeling, an expansion in my heart, a desire to give my joy, a tender nurturing of another or myself,  tending to my garden, holding a grieving client's heart. 

Sometimes love seems truly to be a verb...to have more meaning when it's put into action.

Sometimes love seems so overused that it has no meaning whatsoever.  People who hardly know each other, ending an email or phone call with "I love you"--or the other extreme, two long time married people ending each call with "Love you" whether they feel it or not, where the words have become rote.

When you say "I love you" do you mean it? Do the words mean anything when you say them? I am very careful about using those words, because I want them to mean something when I do say them.
 
Sadly, love for many, has become a medium of exchange..."If I say I love you, you'll do ____ for me"  or "I need you to love me so I can feel  ____".   In intimate relationships, it is often linked with ownership....if a couple is in love, there's an expectation they won't feel that towards anyone else.  That expectation can cause great suffering.  Even in a deeply committed monogamous relationship our hearts can deeply love more than one person, even as a lover--while still not choosing to act on that feeling with someone who is not our partner.

To me, love is the infinite field from which we came, which is interwoven into the fabric of our lives, and it is the place to which we return.  This temporary body is a channel through which life will take shape, and then return to its Source. 

Seeing love this way, there is no lack, loneliness or isolation, for I am no longer a single cell in a vast sea. 
 
May you rest in that abundance, today and all days.

From my Heart's Abode to yours,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment