Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The power of being really heard

The single life certainly has its joys and pleasures...but the downside can be spending way too much time alone. Even if you're partnered, it's so easy to get isolated if you work alone. Input overload is so prevalent..everywhere we turn there are so many choices and decisions. Truly an ADD world!

If I am too much alone, I get so caught up in my own thoughts and moods that I lose perspective.

A good talk with an old friend this morning was SO helpful. The feelings and the issues are still there..but being heard and witnessed, and my friend's ability to be present in a special way (she has some special training in this, not to mention our 24 year friendship) took the edge off.

Last night at our Sacred Women's Circle (highly recommended if you are in or near Santa Fe--or ask me how to start one!) I felt the healing power of a group of women and being heard and witnessed there. The group has grown like wildfire, and we had 26 women in our friend Diana's living room. Even when I'm tired, I just can't miss it..and many of us feel that way.

At this time it feels vitally important to gather the women. There is a magic going on there. I heard that the Dalai Lama said something like this:
"It is the women of the West who will save this world" and I heard Pete Seeger
also say that.

The themes in the women's group: birthing ourself, an urgent feeling that "I must do what I am here to do" and reinventing ourselves. At one moment I felt completely awed and humbled to be part of this movement which is far bigger than this particular circle in Santa Fe. It was so healing to be in the group and to be witnessed in the great caring and tenderness that women can hold for each other.

Sweet support, being really heard. It feels soooo good.

I realized today again, that as I prepare to teach a class or program on a topic, I myself have to 'take' the class first and work on my issues related to that topic. Since my topic is "your relationship to yourself" I shouldn't be surprised to discover that, yes, my own relationship to myself is being worked on--big time.

The life of an experiential teacher, I tell ya..to be continued.

many blessings,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment